Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A or The Gentle Axe?



Funny how these things come about. But 'A Gentle Axe' will be published as 'The Gentle Axe' in America. I'm told there are very good marketing reasons for the difference. The publisher in the States is The Penguin Press. The publication date is March 22, I think. There will also be an American audiobook, from Tantor.

The book's also coming out in Russia. Don't know when. And I don't know what the title will be. But I am very pleased about it. The Russian publisher is U-Factory, for whom I cannot find a link.

In fact, not wishing to leave anyone out, the complete list of countries is:

USA (Penguin Books)
Israel (Keter Publishing)
Holland (de Bezige Bij)
Germany (Droemer)
Italy (Rizzoli)
Finland (Otava)
Greece (Psychogios)
Brazil (Planeta)
Romania (Editura Polirom)
Poland (Literackie)
Hungary (Partvonal)
Czech Republic (BB/Art)
Russian (U-factory)
Estonia (Eesti Paevaleht).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - that's an impressive list - looks like you're heading for the 'A' list (or is that, heading for a 'THE' list???)

Anonymous said...

Many congratulations Roger!

Roger Morris said...

Thanks James and Crimeficreader!

Paul Campbell said...

Blimey!

Will you get a copy in each language? I don't know exactly what you'd do with them, but it might be fun to have a small shelf of Gentle Axes in assorted languages!

Elspeth said...

et la France??

(very impressive list)

mattfwcurran.com Web Admin said...

Hi Roger

Нежно ось, eh? Looks odd in Russian, but hey ho - it's all pretty cool. Do you know who's doing the audiobook (do you get a choice of reader or will you be performing yourself?).

For the record, "A" Gentle Axe sounds better, but I'm sure the book will sell well regardless.

Cheers

Matt

Roger Morris said...

Thanks all.

Paul - I'm certainly hoping for a copy in each language.

Hope - no French publisher, as yet. We live in hope, as it were, so to speak. (Sorry!)

Matt, very impressive. I didn't realise you were a Russian speaker! Hey, is today the day? Congratulations, if so! To answer your question, I had no say in who's reading the audiobook. I didn't even know there was going to be an audiobook until I saw it on amazon! That's the American audiobook. I think Faber are hoping to sell UK audiobook rights too.

Roger Morris said...

Hi David - I'm hoping I will get copies automatically. But who knows? Thanks for looking in.