Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas past post.

I hope everyone had a happy Christmas. Ours was very quiet but fun. I only dozed off once, briefly, during Dr Who. Don't tell the kids.

It's Boxing Day now. I spent the morning sorting out ipods and wiis. Well, one ipod, one wii. Everyone's occupied, so I thought I would try to get some work done. Obviously, it wasn't as easy as I had hoped, which is why I am on the blog.

I did a bit of festive googling and found this from Darryl Accone in the Mail and Guardian of South Africa:

Place and time are crucial also to RN Morris, who brings Dostoevsky's investigating magistrate Porfiry Petrovich brilliantly to life in A Vengeful Longing (Faber), the second in the self-styled "A St Petersburg Mystery" series. Paying due acknowledgement to Dostoevsky this time round, Morris's filigree recreation plunges us into 19th-century St Petersburg and a rash of poisonings and deeply hidden motivations.


I remembered a previous article from Accone, in which I'd been criticised for not sufficiently acknowledging my debt to Dostoevsky. It seems I got the balance right this time.

No comments: