Sunday, May 20, 2007

Late to the tag party.

Absolutely ages ago I was tagged by Nik and Lucy.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get to it, guys, but here goes:

1. Do you outline?
Yes.


2. Do you write straight through a book, or do you sometimes tackle the scenes out of order?
I write the ending first. Then write the rest of the book.


3. Do you prefer writing with a pen or using a computer?

Pen. Or quill.


4. Do you prefer writing in first person or third?
Third.


5. Do you listen to music while you write? If so, do you create a playlist, listen randomly, or pick a single song that fits the book?
No music.


6. How do you come up with the perfect names for your characters?
I steal them from Dostoevsky.


7. When you're writing, do you ever imagine your book as a television show or movie?
I’m describing a movie playing in my head.



8. Have you ever had a character insist on doing something you really didn't want him/her to do?
I just kill them off if they won’t behave.


9. Do you know how a book is going to end when you start it?

Yes. (See answer #2.)


10. Where do you write?
Mostly anywhere.


11. What do you do when you get writer's block?
Buy a new notebook and a new pen. The ones I’m using obviously aren’t working any more.


12. What size increments do you write in (either in terms of wordcount, or as a percentage of the book as a whole)?
It’s a variable, i, which can be expressed as follows i = wcI/dh. Where w=words, c=coffee, I= inspiration, d=distractions, h=hangover. In other words, about 0.2% a day, on average. Ish.


13. How many different drafts did you write for your last project?
One. Then the editor went at it.


14. Have you ever changed a character's name midway through a draft?
Unintentionally, yes.


15. Do you let anyone read your book while you're working on it, or do you wait until you've completed a draft before letting someone else see it?
No one reads it until it’s ready.


16. What do you do to celebrate when you finish a draft?
Open a bottle of wine.


17. One project at a time, or multiple projects at once?
One at a time, these days.


18. Do your books grow or shrink in revision?
Shrink.


19. Do you have any writing or critique partners?
No. Though I did swap manuscripts with Hannah Holborn for Taking Comfort.



20. Do you prefer drafting or revising?
I don’t know the answer to this. I revise as I go along.


I'm going to duck out of tagging anyone else, as I'm so late to this that I'm sure everybody else in the world has already been done!