Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Yes, it’s a teabag.




A lot of people have said to me, ‘Is that a teabag on the cover of your book?’

It seems the presence of the teabag is even more intriguing and compelling than the knife. (You did notice the Sabatier in the top left hand corner?)

Why is it there? Obviously this is one of those questions that can be answered in a number of ways. Easiest is the quick, smart-arse reply, ‘Because the designer put it there’.

That’s true, of course. I didn’t design the cover. I didn’t even suggest any ideas for it. The publishers took my manuscript, briefed a designer, and this is what he came up with. In record time, I have to add.

Now I don’t know whether the designer read the book, but it just so happens, that in selecting these two objects to depict on the cover, alongside the image of the tube train, he has graphically emblemised the central drama of the book. No, it’s not a fight between a teabag and a knife. I think we all know who would win that one. It’s --- hang on, am I going to give away the whole plot here in my blog? Sorry, no. It’s not going to happen.

You’re just going to have to order your own copy.

No comments: